I can’t write.
Or I don’t want to write.
Or I am just not writing.
Any way you look at it, no writing is being done.
Except for right now, obviously.
And so I’m going to write.
A list, of course.
Today I’m inspired by T.J. Beitelman’s “30 Things I Love Right Now” (which I’ve been reading and loving for AGES (or at least a year), but have never actually done myself….).
So, here it is:
30 Things I Love Right Now
1. Sunday mornings.
2. Pinterest. Seriously. It’s becoming a problem.
3. This elephant.
4. Fresh sheets right out of the dryer.
5. My white fluffy towels. Which are both a great idea (you can bleach them!) and a horrible idea (I wear fake tanning cream!) and still I love them.
7. Especially the chocolate flavor of Abuelita’s hot chocolate.
8. Which I’ve been drinking quite a bit of lately, despite the heat. Maybe I should try iced hot chocolate? Hmmmm.
9. My treehouse room at the top of the stairs. Windows on three sides, twin bed, bookshelves, an outlet = everything I need.
10. My house. Which is to say my Mom’s house, that I live in. I love when people walk in for the first time and are blown away by the colors and fun. I love when I see new things I never noticed before, which is pretty much always, since I mostly live in my head and don’t see things around me.
12. Specifically, remembering my dreams. Last night I dreamt about my Mom. I gave her a really long hug and remembered how tiny she was in the end. It made me happy and sad.
13. Lime sorbet.
14. Lime popsicles.
16. Also lemons, but I haven’t been able to find them at the store lately.
18. Especially this:
19. Thich Nhat Hanh. Everything about him.
20. Sitting with my friend Sharon in front of her store in the town square and watching people come and go. (Yes, I live in a place that has a town square — and it is awesome.)
21. Amazon’s book store. It’s dangerous and wonderful.
22. My new purple skort.
23. Skorts in general.
25. My friend Kim’s TV series recommendations — she turned me onto Orange is the New Black, The Killing, Luther, The Fall (Gillian Anderson!), Scandal, etc. etc. (Note: This Kim is real. She lives in Cancun, not in my head.)
26.. Also her advice. Which, to be honest, is pretty much always: CALM DOWN, YOU’RE FINE.
27. I’m in love with that moment when I let go of some crap that has been rolling around in my mind for too long and I finally realize it’s not important. “Oh, ok….” (Sometimes as a direct result of the aforementioned Kim-advice)
28. Lobster bisque at Las Palmeras.
29. The silly monkey hanging from my rear-view mirror (the one in MY CAR, which I also LOVE). He reminds me that I can be silly. And also that I have big ears, but they’re cute.
30. Writing. Having written. 🙂
p.s. this was actually pretty fun — although i was surprised that it was a bit tough to come up with 30 things. that seems wrong. i am going to work on appreciating what i appreciate a little bit more.
p.p.s. my teacher has been out of town for awhile, so i haven’t done anything really spectacular in terms of major breakthroughs (which could happen with or without her, so i don’t know why i’m saying that)(anyway) but i am making space for the four year old kimmy and i’m making a conscious effort to be good to her and not to abandon her. so far, so good.
p.p.p.s. mexico is celebrating today! it’s independence day here and tonight should be fun – fireworks! music! food! Viva Mexico!