I’m working on the Book of Me again. Turns out there is no plane.*
(but if there were a plane, it would be a G6, cuz that I’m feelin’ so fly, like a G6)
There is, however, a plan. A “How to Stop Taking Antidepressants Without Entirely Fucking Up My Life and Falling (Further) Into The Clutches of the Dreadifuss Beasties” plan. But that title is a little long and not glamorous at all, so I’m going to call it “De Plane! De Plane!”….
Makes perfect sense, right?
Also, the thought of a little french midget (who looks vaguely hispanic) in a white tux and questionable facial hair running around and waving his little arms in the air while yelling “De Plane! De Plane!” to remind me about the aforementioned plan makes me surprisingly happy.
I haven’t worked out all of the details yet, and I’m sure there will be lots of tweaking in the future, but here is the plan as it stands today.
De Plane! De Plane!
Oh hello, sweet pea. Today is Day 10 of the Great Anti – Antidepressant Experiment of 2011. Here are some things that have helped so far and some things that I’m sure will help in the future, even though I’m not doing them, ummmm, yet.
- Vitamin Supplements — I’m taking the “Women to Women” program Essential Nutrients packets twice a day. Multi-vitamin/mineral formula, EFA formula and calcium/magnesium formula. I’m also taking HemeVite (k-26) which is Vitamin C and Iron. This has made a pretty huge difference in how I feel physically. I think it is helping me manage blood sugar/energy and minimize cravings. Ran out of Adaptisol – which is the women to women formula for adrenal exhaustion, but I’ve re-ordered and I’m sure that is really going to help in the long run also.
- Sleep — My sleep quality sucks. Sleep Apnea + I hate wearing the Darth Vader mask that treats sleep apnea = sucky sleep. Taking a sleep aid helps me sleep through the night. Going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time would probably also really help.
- WRITING WRITING WRITING — Do I really have to explain this? It helps. No matter how much you don’t want to do it, do it.
- Eat protein first thing in the morning. It makes a huge difference.
- Cutting back on Diet Coke (or anything else containing aspartame) — This one is uber-painful…. but the writing is on the wall (i.e., all over the worldwide interweb) there seems to be quite a bit of “evidence” that aspartame/diet drinks contribute to DEPRESSION and YOUR FAT ASS.
- Yoga — It is good for the body AND helps manage anxiety. And it makes me feel good. Just do it. It’s not like you don’t have the yoga pants…
- And probably more exercise — Me: “Wow! Exercise helps depression? Who knew?” Also Me: “Besides everyone in the entire fucking world?”
- Food/Mood Diary — this seems like a super good idea that I have huge resistance to implementing.
- Gratitude Journal — see above re: Food/Mood Diary.
- OH! Vitamin D, don’t ever stop taking Vitamin D. Mere sunshine is not enough for your sweet body/brain.
- Stop watching the news. Nothing good ever comes out of it.
- Limiting gluten — this seems to make our digestive system happier + calmer.
- Reach out to someone every day — or, in other words, STOP ISOLATING. I know it is hard when you’re in the dark abyss of doom, but do it anyway.
- Hide — reaching out is good, forgetting that you are an introvert is not good. Force fields!
- Don’t worry, be happy! — JUST KIDDING. That is stupid.
That is about it for now. I’m feeling pretty darn good today. My retreat to the mountains this weekend was fucking awesome. I met some lovely people and was reminded that mostly people are good. Mom enjoyed the break also …. 🙂 Her birthday is this week!!! It’s on Bastille Day, so that is cool. We are going to her home on the farm in SE Colorado (a/k/a “practically Kansas”) to celebrate. Friends and family are going to join us, yay! Then she starts a clinical trial next week.
I’m feeling super grateful for the people who read this schtuff and post comments — thanks for being awesome and hilarious and reminding me that I’m not so different from everyone else.
All y’all rock.
* I’m assuming I don’t have to explain “De Plane! De Plane!” — Fantasy Island? If that rings no bells, I’m not sure what else to say…